1 hr 15 mins
Chef Fluffy Ewe's Note:
This was developed some 40 years ago from a dish served in a restaurant in Mesilla, NM. I have been serving it to branding crews since I was about 15 and took over the "chuckwagon".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 medium corn tortillas
- 2 lbs shredded monterey jack cheese or 2 lbs colby-monterey jack cheese
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces diced or chopped green chili peppers
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 lbs very lean hamburger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1Brown hamburger seasoning with garlic, oregano and salt.
- 2Drain and blot any grease.
- 3Stir together until smooth: Mushroom soup, tomatoes, and green chili.
- 4For a large dinner: Spray baking dish 10 X 15, with Pam.
- 5Make layers of: 6 tortillas, 1/3 of each: soup mix, onion, meat, and cheese.
- 6Repeat until all is in Baking dish.
- 7For a small dinner: Spray 2 8x8 baking dishes with Pam.
- 8Break or cut 6 tortillas in half.
- 9Make layers of: 2 whole and 2 halves of tortillas, 1/6 of each: soup mix, onion, meat, and cheese.
- 10Repeat until all is in baking dishes.
- 11Wrap 1 dish tightly in aluminum foil, label, and freeze for next week.
- 12Bake in 350F oven for 1 hour.
- 13Serves 6 very hungry teens or 10 to 12 adults.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Mexico Enchilada Casserola
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.5
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 78.3 mg
- Sodium 1081.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 26.2 g