Recipe by SusieQusie
Adapted from _Lean Bean Cuisine_ - a creamy, spicy chowder that begs for a side of cornbread.
First you make a roux (I love saying that)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper (red or green, diced)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 new mexico chile, roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped (or more to taste)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen green fordhook lima beans or 2 cups canned green fordhook lima beans, drained
- 2 cups whole kernel corn (frozen and thawed or drained canned kernels)
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Roux - melt butter in a small skillet. Whisk in the flour. Stir mixture until it's light brown. Remove from heat.
- Saute onions, green pepper, garlic, celery, and chiles in oil for 7-10 minutes, until soft.
- Add stock, potatoes, spices and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add lima beans, corn and milk. Return to low simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in reserved roux and simmer another 5 minutes.