1/1 Photo of New Mexican Baked Beans
mary winecoff's Note:
These beans use New Mexican chile powder, a dark red, smoky powder. It is available in Mexican markets. You can substitute a dark, rich chile powder, like the ancho chile powder that is available in some supermarkets. Adapted from www.fiery-foods.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slice bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (878.83 g) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups cooked beans)
- 9.85 ml new mexico chile powder
- 354.88 ml prepared barbecue sauce
- 59.14 ml beer or 59.14 ml water
- 59.14 ml dark brown sugar, packed
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 1Saute bacon in skillet until just brown and slightly crisp.
- 2Remove and set aside on paper towel to drain.
- 3Remove all but about 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 4Add onion and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- 6Place beans in a 2 1/2 to 3 quart baking dish with a lid.
- 7Add the onions and garlic.
- 8Stir in the chile powder, barbecue sauce, beer, brown sugar and mustard.
- 9Sprinkle with bacon.
- 10Cover and bake in a 325F degree oven for 45 minutes.
- 11Uncover and cook about 15 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Mexican Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.3
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 488.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 9.7 g