Recipe by LtlPhyl #2
This is my own recipe creation which also works well using a smoked ham picnic shoulder. For either brisket or ham reserve the cooking stock to make delightful soups. Cooking water for either boiled dinner may also be frozen to use at a later time. Cooking and prep times are approximate due to the size of meat and vegetables you use. ENJOY :)
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 potatoes, pared (small to medium potatoes)
- 6 carrots, pared in 2-inch slices
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut in wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse corned beef and place in a large pot; barely cover with hot water.
- Add onions, garlic.
- Tie the whole cloves, peppercorns and bay leaves in a square of cheese cloth for easy removal from cooking stock.
- Cover; simmer about 1 hour per pound of meat or until fork tender.
- Remove meat from liquid; add potatoes and carrots.
- Cover; bring to boiling, cook 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage; cook 20 minutes more.
- To carve corned beef cut across the grain in thin slices.