Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Norashikin Ismail sent me this recipe after I saw a picture of it on my wall and requested it. She is a friend on FB, a fabulous baker, and caring person.
- PAN AND OVEN PREP:.
- Use a deep 9 inch round pan, and a larger pan to set it in for a bain marie(water bath).
- Put empty cake pan into larger pan and, holding the cake pan down so it doesn't float, add hot water to a depth of 3/4 inch.
- Remove cake pan from larger pan and put larger pan in oven to preheat all to 350*F while making cake.
- CARAMEL LAYER:.
- Mix sugar and 1 Tbs water and heat until caramelized(brownish in color).
- Carefully add remaining water and stir to dissolve.
- Pour into, and cover bottom of, 9 inch round pan.
- Set aside.
- FLAN LAYER:.
- Pour warm milk into beaten egg and vanilla mix; making sure not to cause eggs to foam.
- Strain the mixture 3 TIMES, making sure there are no solid particles left.
- Set aside.
- SPONGE CAKE LAYER :.
- Mix all ingredients on high speed for 7 to 8 minutes until the mix becomes light and fluffy.
- Divide into 3 portions, tint 1 portion pink and another green(see picture).
- Pour pudding mixture carefully over caramel layer in cake pan.
- Carefully pour layers of the tinted and untinted cake batter over this, alternating colors(see picture).
- Layer of cake batter will look messy but will smooth out after a few minutes.
- Return cake pan to bain marie and bake for 1 hour.
- Cool on cake rack for 10 minutes before flipping onto serving plate.