Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
The name for this "shepherd's pie" look-alike comes from the brilliant contrast of sweet potatoes and green peas. The colour combo is, well, bright and rather unusual. It tastes better than it looks!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil (or more, if necessary)
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a pot of salted water, cook sweet potato cubes until tender.
- Drain well, and mash together with the butter, the buttermik and the honey.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick pan, saute ground chicken and onion together until no pink remains in the chicken and the onion is soft.
- Place the still frozen peas in a sieve or colander.
- Drain the chicken and onion over the peas.
- Place the chicken mixture in a 3L casserole dish.
- Return the pan to the stove.
- In the vegetable oil, saute the mushrooms over medium heat.
- When almost brown, add the garlic and saute together for 1-2 minutes more.
- Drain off any accumulated juices and add to the chicken.
- Add the cream of chicken soup (NOT reconstitued) to the chicken mixture, add salt and pepper if desired and stir until well combined.
- Mixture will appear dry.
- Smooth top.
- Top chicken mixture with the sweet potatoes, and smooth top.
- Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes, or until juices bubble up the edges and casserole is hot.