A different Dango recipe including fruit sauces instead of the traditional sweet soy sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups mochiko sweet rice flour
- 3/4 cup warm water
- katakuriko, for dusting
- nonstick cooking spray
- bamboo skewer
- 2 cups strawberries (I have used blueberries instead)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon katakuriko
- 1Place a small amount of water in a pot and keep on low.
- 2Mix the mochiko and warm water together.
- 3Blend it together well using your hands.
- 4Treat the mochiko mix as if it were were dough by kneading it and make sure all the flour is well blended.
- 5Spray your steam basket or colander lightly with the non-stick cooking spray.
- 6Roll the dough into dumplings, none bigger than a 25 cent piece.
- 7Place the balls at least an inch and a half away from each other. This stuff expands and sticks together in a bad way if you're not careful.
- 8Place the steamer basket or colander in the pot and steam it on high for 10 minutes.
- 9Remember to add small amounts of water as you go along, but not to much so that it ruins the dumplings.
- 10If you're making two batches of dumplings because you only have one basket, generously dust a cutting board with the katakuriko. Cool the dumplings enough to handle and place them on the floured cutting board. Repeat steps 2 - 4 until dough is gone.
- 11Make syrups.
- 12To make the Strawberry syrup, Mix the strawberries, 1/2 cup water, and 1/4 cup sugar together in a small saucepan.
- 13Mash the berries and stir.
- 14In a separate bowl, add one tablespoon katakuriko or cornstarch to 1/4 cup water.
- 15Stir the mashed fruit mix quickly while pouring in the katakuriko mix.
- 16This last step gives the berries a thicker texture. Omit if you like the thinner syrups. Set aside. Rinse saucepan.
- 17For the Peach syrup, Preheat stovetop to high.
- 18In a small saucepan mix peaches, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Simmer on low, stirring constantly for five minutes.
- 19Add more water if you like a thinner syrup.
- 20Mash peaches and set aside in a separate bowl. Rinse saucepan.
- 21Once syrups are done, skewer the cooled dango about 4 per bamboo skewer.
- 22Place on a wire rack and grill in oven for about one minute per side. The should be lightly toasted. You can use a grill pan or an actual grill to do this also just remember they are only to be cooked until golden brown. You don't want to burn these.
- 23Brush each skewer with your choice of the syrups, covering them completely. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Facts for Natsu Furutsu Dango
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.6
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 35.5 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: