Recipe by Xexe
A different Dango recipe including fruit sauces instead of the traditional sweet soy sauce.
- 1 1⁄3 cups mochiko sweet rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- katakuriko, for dusting
- nonstick cooking spray
- bamboo skewer
- 2 cups strawberries (I have used blueberries instead)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon katakuriko
- 2 cups peaches
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a small amount of water in a pot and keep on low.
- Mix the mochiko and warm water together.
- Blend it together well using your hands.
- Treat the mochiko mix as if it were were dough by kneading it and make sure all the flour is well blended.
- Spray your steam basket or colander lightly with the non-stick cooking spray.
- Roll the dough into dumplings, none bigger than a 25 cent piece.
- Place the balls at least an inch and a half away from each other. This stuff expands and sticks together in a bad way if you're not careful.
- Place the steamer basket or colander in the pot and steam it on high for 10 minutes.
- Remember to add small amounts of water as you go along, but not to much so that it ruins the dumplings.
- If you're making two batches of dumplings because you only have one basket, generously dust a cutting board with the katakuriko. Cool the dumplings enough to handle and place them on the floured cutting board. Repeat steps 2 - 4 until dough is gone.
- Make syrups.
- To make the Strawberry syrup, Mix the strawberries, 1/2 cup water, and 1/4 cup sugar together in a small saucepan.
- Mash the berries and stir.
- In a separate bowl, add one tablespoon katakuriko or cornstarch to 1/4 cup water.
- Stir the mashed fruit mix quickly while pouring in the katakuriko mix.
- This last step gives the berries a thicker texture. Omit if you like the thinner syrups. Set aside. Rinse saucepan.
- For the Peach syrup, Preheat stovetop to high.
- In a small saucepan mix peaches, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Simmer on low, stirring constantly for five minutes.
- Add more water if you like a thinner syrup.
- Mash peaches and set aside in a separate bowl. Rinse saucepan.
- Once syrups are done, skewer the cooled dango about 4 per bamboo skewer.
- Place on a wire rack and grill in oven for about one minute per side. The should be lightly toasted. You can use a grill pan or an actual grill to do this also just remember they are only to be cooked until golden brown. You don't want to burn these.
- Brush each skewer with your choice of the syrups, covering them completely. Serve immediately.