Recipe by That Napa Chicken Ranch
This is a freshened up version of a popular soup. We didn't serve it at our wedding, but we do enjoy it on a brisk evening in front of the fireplace- with a glass of wine of course!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach (then thawed)
- 1 lemon, zest of, only
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta (uncooked rice-shaped pasta)
- parmesan cheese, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil, parsley, and green onions.
- Shape the meat mix into 3/4 inch balls.
- Pour broth into a large saucepan over high heat. After the broth starts to boil, drop in meatballs a few at a time.
- Add the spinach and cook for about 5 minutes until the soup is very hot again.
- Add the lemon zest and orzo and return to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 10 more minutes or until orzo is tender, stirring frequently.
- Serve sprinkled with additional parmesan cheese.