Cindy W.'s Note:
Another old family recipe from my Canadian turned naturalized US citizen Grandmother. This is a dessert white sauce, served warm over your choice of cake. My Grandmother used to serve it over an apple cake or her walnut cake (Nanny's Walnut Cake). Definitely fits in the comfort food category and makes for an elegant, but simple, dessert. It will enhance the flavor of your cake, not overpower it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put milk in medium size sauce pan, bring to a gentle simmer.
- 2Add beaten egg, blending continuously with whisk.
- 3Add sugar; continue to whisk.
- 4Mix flour with water. Add slowly to mixture, still whisking.
- 5Stir mixture till it becomes thick, but still "pourable.".
- 6Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon.
- 7Serve warm, ladled over individual cake slices. (I recommend my Grandmothers cake, Nanny's Walnut Cake).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nanny's Sweet White Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.0
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.6 mg
- Sodium 51.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g