Recipe by Cindy W.
Another old family recipe from my Canadian turned naturalized US citizen Grandmother. This is a dessert white sauce, served warm over your choice of cake. My Grandmother used to serve it over an apple cake or her walnut cake (Nanny's Walnut Cake). Definitely fits in the comfort food category and makes for an elegant, but simple, dessert. It will enhance the flavor of your cake, not overpower it.
Directions See How It's Made
- Put milk in medium size sauce pan, bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add beaten egg, blending continuously with whisk.
- Add sugar; continue to whisk.
- Mix flour with water. Add slowly to mixture, still whisking.
- Stir mixture till it becomes thick, but still "pourable.".
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Serve warm, ladled over individual cake slices. (I recommend my Grandmothers cake, Recipe #360999).