Prep 1 hr
Cook 72 hrs
Another recipe from the 1980 version of the Grace Evangelical Congregational Church cookbook from Muir, Pennsylvania that was given to me by my Nana when I became an adult. This is one that was actually submitted to the cookbook by my Nana - Dorothy Parker. She has added the following note to the recipe: "Especially tasty with pork chops or roast. Chop pickles and mix with cream cheese for dark bread sandwiches".
- 9 cucumbers, yellow
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 3 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 pint vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 ounces maraschino cherries and juice
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- Peel, seed and cut cucumbers into cubes.
- Sprinkle cucumbers with salt and cover with water.
- Let stand overnight.
- In the morning heat to boiling and then drain.
- Loosely tie spices in cheesecloth and combine with sugar and vinegar. Heat to boiling.
- Pour over drained cucumbers and let stand overnight.
- The next morning heat to boiling and then simmer until cucumbers are tender - being careful not to overcook.
- Add cherries with juice and red food coloring.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars and seal at once.
- Process in boiling water bath (212 degrees) for five minutes.