Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
My Nana made snickerdoodles every Christmas. Then my mom and I made these most every year growing up. There are so many snickerdoodle recipes out there - but this - in my opinion is the best. One year was at my sister's for Xmas and we tried a generic recipe -- they were good - but not like Nana's!!! This recipe makes a ton -- suitable for xmas parties / large groups. (but you seriously wouldn't want to make a 1/2 batch... trust me on this! ;)
- 2 cups Crisco (or 1 C butter and 1 C Crisco)
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a separate bowl, mix Flour, Cream of Tartar, Baking Soda and Salt. Whisk to combine.
- Cream sugar and Crisco/Butter in your Mixer. Xmas 2014 I beat the sugar and butter a lot - whippy texture. I got very flat cookies. Read internet and it said cream for only a couple of minutes for thicker less crispy texture --
- Add Eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each egg.
- Add flour mixture slowly till combined.
- Chill the dough - for a while - hour or more?.
- Roll balls into walnut size.
- Roll balls into a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. (Use as much or as little cinnamon as you like).
- Bake at 400 for 8 - 10 minutes - but the cookies are BEST undercooked!