Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
My dh loves stew, this is his favorite, made the way his mother prepared it. It's a quick and easy stew that is big on flavor. This is a great recipe for using up the rest of the red wine that you didn't finish last night. *Please note that the sitting time in fridge is not listed in cooking time.*
- 226.79 g bacon, diced and fried
- 907.18 g stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes, dredged in seasoned flour
- 236.59 ml carrot, sweet, diced
- 236.59 ml celery, sliced
- 236.59 ml onion, coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml potato, diced
- 29.58 ml ketchup, tomato
- 709.77 ml red wine, burgundy is best
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4.92 ml salt (for seasoning flour)
- 2.46 ml black pepper, freshly ground (for seasoning flour)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Brown the foured and seasoned beef in the hot bacon fat.
- Place the vegetables and ketchup in a saucepan, pour in the wine to cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the browned meat and vegetable mixture into a covered casserole, add the bay leaf and the garlic and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove and cool then place in fridge.
- Let sit overnight in the fridge and warm the next day for best results. Lovely served as is or over steamed rice.
Really good with nice rich flavor. Made for Zaar Stars
This has a nice rich flavor...I omitted the potatoes and used mushrooms instead...Very easy to prepare...I love doing the final cooking in the oven...no need to keep stirring on the stove...I served it over spaetzle and just a slice of bread for a yummy meal...thanks for posting it...:)
Ahhhh, so elegant and does this come with an English prince. Fairy tales do come true, but then I do attract all types. Made for ZWT#8~Great Britain.