Recipe by Baby Kato
My dh loves stew, this is his favorite, made the way his mother prepared it. It's a quick and easy stew that is big on flavor. This is a great recipe for using up the rest of the red wine that you didn't finish last night. *Please note that the sitting time in fridge is not listed in cooking time.*
- 226.79 g bacon, diced and fried
- 907.18 g stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes, dredged in seasoned flour
- 236.59 ml carrot, sweet, diced
- 236.59 ml celery, sliced
- 236.59 ml onion, coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml potato, diced
- 29.58 ml ketchup, tomato
- 709.77 ml red wine, burgundy is best
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4.92 ml salt (for seasoning flour)
- 2.46 ml black pepper, freshly ground (for seasoning flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Brown the foured and seasoned beef in the hot bacon fat.
- Place the vegetables and ketchup in a saucepan, pour in the wine to cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the browned meat and vegetable mixture into a covered casserole, add the bay leaf and the garlic and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove and cool then place in fridge.
- Let sit overnight in the fridge and warm the next day for best results. Lovely served as is or over steamed rice.