Recipe by Bogey'sMom
This is a recipe from Brother Boniface, a 95 year old Trappist Monk at Mepkin Abbey in Moncks Corner, SC. He is German Born, and attributes this recipe to his "Mutter", who made it for each of her children on their "Name Day".
- 1 lb butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- butter, to prepare pan
- flour, to prepare pan
- strawberry, for topping (optional)
- cream, for topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- With an electric mixer, cream eggs, butter and sugar until fluffy and light.
- Add flour, baking powder and lemon rind.
- Beat or whip it until the dough falls heavily from a spoon.
- Bake in a 13X9 glass baking pan or fluted cake pan at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Top with strawberries and cream for an extra delight.