Recipe by Carianne
BF made this last night--it is from the FEB 2004 Healthy Cooking. It is delicious! Very lime-y, so reduce the lime juice if this scares you! 6 WW points per serving. BF added grilled chicken, it was a perfect combo. This would be easy to make veggie--just sub the broth.
Top Review by Maito
This was a really good soup - like a Mexican roasted vegetable soup. The roasting really brings out all the flavors. I did not puree the beans, just the veggies. The amount of lime was just right for us. Topped it with lots of cilantro. Served 4.
- 3 tomatoes, sliced to 1/2 inches
- 1 onion, sliced to 1/2 inches
- 1 red pepper, quartered lengthwise
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans or 1 (14 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Broil tomatoes, onions, red pepper, jalapeno, and garlic for 6- 7 minutes on each side (until nicely charred).
- Let cool and puree in bender Combine puree, broth, beans, and cilantro in a large soup pot.
- Boil, then reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) for 20 minutes.
- Let cool, then puree in batches.
- Return puree to pot, bring to boil.
- Add corn, lime juice, salt, and cumin.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cheese, cilantro, and tortilla strips.