Recipe by janisaprintz
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This is a great comfort food recipe that has everything, mashed potatoes, noodles, cheese, and BACON, plus more. The idea came from eating potatoe and cheese pirogeis when I lived in Pittsburgh. Cook the noodles, saute the vegetables, then layer everthing in a casserole dish, and pop it in the oven. Couldn't be easier.
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 7 noodles lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) jar alfredo sauce
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 (10 ounce) box spinach (frozen)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbles
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 stalks green onions
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 9" X 13" X 2" glass baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- Cook Lasagna Noodles in salted water, drain, set aside.
- Dice Bacon, saute until crisp, drain on paper towels, save grease, set aside.
- Defrost Spinach in a bowl; squeeze moisture from defrosted Spinach. Discard moisture. Set aside Spinach.
- Dice Red Bell Pepper and slice 4 green onions into 1/8" rounds, saute both in 2 Tbs. reserved Bacon grease until wilted.
- Add reserved Bacon, Red Bell pepper and Green Onion to the bowl with the Spinach. Add White Wine Vinegar, salt, pepper, 1 Teas. minced garlic,and crushed red pepper; and mix. Set aside.
- Mix Goat Cheese Crumbles with Simple Potatoes, Traditional Mashed Potatoes, and remainder of minced garlic. Set aside.
- Combine the Potatoe mixture with the Bacon, Pepper and Onion mixture.
- In the greased casserole dish: Layer 1/2 the jar of Alfredo Sauce. Top with a layer of the Lasagna Noodles ( 3 1/2) . Top with the Potatoe/Bacon mixture. Layer with remaining noodles (3 1/2), Cover noodles with remaining Alfredo Sauce. Cover with Alumminum foil. Bake 350 Degrees F @ 30-45 min (until bubblely). Top with Cheddar Cheese, bake until cheese melts and slightly browns. Top with remaining sliced green Onions. Slice and serve.