Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
After trying 2 different meatloaf recipes, it occurred to me that many of the elements in each recipe would be great TOGETHER! Here is the resulting recipe...UPDATE :Im sorry to see that members are quick to criticize without cause...the menu clearly states both a cooking time and a recommended internal temperature, please READ before you snark, thanks!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey breast or 2 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters preferred)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 1 cup low-fat monterey jack cheese, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup light thousand island dressing (Kraft preferred)
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly, with your hands, in a large bowl.
- Pour/plop meat mixture in a NON-STICK standard 9X5 loaf pan, patting it down evenly; if you don't have non-stick pan, then you must spray inside of pan with PAM cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 45-60 min (your oven time may vary), checking for doneness every 5 minutes, starting at the 45min mark, baking until done. The internal temperature should be at least 165ºF (74ºC).
- Let sit in pan for 10 min before removing and slicing.
- TIP: Excellent for cold meatloaf sandwiches, simply cut into 10 slices and refrigerate until well chilled.
Excellent recipe. Moist and flavorful. The food only issue is in the vagueness of the cooking time. The writer should have given a more exact cooking time and at the very least mentioned the proper internal finished cooking temperature of 165*F for food safety sake. The time was about 1 1/2 hours in the pan suggested for me. It might cook more quickly molded into a loaf and baked in a shallow dish.
The flavor on this is great and I will definitely make it again!! I had problems with it falling apart when sliced, but my mixture was wet before it went into the oven so next time I will add more oats/breadcrumbs or less one egg. The DH and I are working on portion control now, but we couldn't stop eating this!