Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a wonderful Moroccan salad for summer and especially in winter when you crave that salad crunch and the salad vegetables are all puny and pale! Keeps well and is also great for picnics. We prefer it served cold here, especially with hot winter warmers. Use salt should you think it needs it and to your liking. I use a very small pinch as I do not want to draw all of the water out of the carrots but I do want a bit of the juice. c.2005
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb carrot, shredded
- Combine the parsley coriander, and garlic until finely minced. Add the lemon juice, oil, tomato paste, and seasonings. Combine just until all the ingredients are well mixed. This is to be your dressing.
- Place the mixture in a large - or ceramic bowl, top with the carrots, and toss until the carrots are coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Adjust the seasonings; salt, pepper and lemon and serve chilled or at room temperature.
- The cooking time is the chilling time at a minimum.
This is excellent. I recommend using homegrown or organic carrots. The dry supermarket variety just don't cut it. Great for those hot humid summer days when the last thing you want to do is cook.
This salad makes amazing changes overnight. It was a totally different and totally delicious salad the next day. It's very tangy, crunchy, colorful and a wonderful blend of flavors.