Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is the red beet soup that I grew up eating. I make it for my family now, my mother still makes it, her mother made it, and probably her mother made it too. So very rich and good. This is comfort food for me, especially when I am homesick.
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 8 red beets, peeled and cubed
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 2 cups sour cream
- Place beef short ribs, salt and pepper in a stock pot.
- Cover with water (at least 3 quarts) and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer until the meat falls off the bone.
- Skim off any "scum" and visible fat.
- Add cubed red beets, ensuring that there is enough liquid to cover them.
- Bring back to the boil.
- Simmer until red beets are tender.
- Take out about 3 cups of the soup mixture including red beets but excluding meat, and place in blender. Blend until mostly smooth.
- Add the blended mixture back to the pot.
- Add cubed potatoes and simmer until tender.
- Add half and half, and sour cream.
- Mix well.
- Be certain to not let the soup come to a boil once the dairy products have been added.
- Check for seasoning. Adjust with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Serve and enjoy.