4 hrs 30 mins
This is the red beet soup that I grew up eating. I make it for my family now, my mother still makes it, her mother made it, and probably her mother made it too. So very rich and good. This is comfort food for me, especially when I am homesick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place beef short ribs, salt and pepper in a stock pot.
- 2Cover with water (at least 3 quarts) and bring to a boil.
- 3Let simmer until the meat falls off the bone.
- 4Skim off any "scum" and visible fat.
- 5Add cubed red beets, ensuring that there is enough liquid to cover them.
- 6Bring back to the boil.
- 7Simmer until red beets are tender.
- 8Take out about 3 cups of the soup mixture including red beets but excluding meat, and place in blender. Blend until mostly smooth.
- 9Add the blended mixture back to the pot.
- 10Add cubed potatoes and simmer until tender.
- 11Add half and half, and sour cream.
- 12Mix well.
- 13Be certain to not let the soup come to a boil once the dairy products have been added.
- 14Check for seasoning. Adjust with salt and pepper as necessary.
- 15Serve and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Polish Family's Red Beet Soup
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 837.6
- Calories from Fat 605
- Total Fat 67.2 g
- Saturated Fat 34.0 g
- Cholesterol 156.2 mg
- Sodium 206.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 25.2 g