Recipe by dojemi
This recipe for chicken escarole soup comes courtesy of Joan Nathan. The addition of escarole makes it extra special.
- 6 chicken legs (with thighs attached)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 2 whole carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 parsnip, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb escarole, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large pot with 4 quarts water; place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, return to a boil, skimming off any foam that has accumulated at the top.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, parsnip, dill, and parsley.
- Continue cooking slowly, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Set a strainer over a large bowl and strain soup; discard solids.
- Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Remove the layer of fat that has formed on top of the soup overnight and discard.
- Place soup in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Just before serving, add escarole and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.