Recipe by Cabin Cat
A recipe handed down from my Mom. We tweaked and tweaked till we got it just right! If Pillsbury Hot Roll mix ever goes off the market, I'll have a lot of recipes that don't work anymore. I use it as a base for everything!
- 1 (16 ounce) boxpillsbury hot roll mix (a specialty bread)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water, 120o to130o F. , or very hot to the touch
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup Karo syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk, add t. more at a time if necessary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- COMBINE contents of box, sugar and yeast packet in large bowl; MIX WELL.
- STIR in hot water, butter and egg until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- With greased or floured hands, shape dough into a ball.
- KNEAD dough for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Cover dough with large bowl' let rest 5 or 10 minutes.
- (skip steps 5 & 6 if making icing topped cinnamon buns).
- Make pan coating, if using, by mixing all together in a small bowl,.
- microwave for about a minute until blended.
- Make filling and set aside.
- At this point, if making stickies, spread into a buttered 9"X13" pan or two 9" pans.
- TO SHAPE roll dough to about a 10" X 15" rectangle.
- SPREAD filling mixture evenly over dough.
- Starting with narrow side, roll tightly and pinch edges to seal.
- Cut into 12 or 16 even pieces and place cut side down in prepared pans.
- Twelve look nice in the 9" X 13" pan,eight each make nice 9" pans.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap or clean towel and let rise in a warm place 30 minute.
- Uncover rolls, bake at 375o F. for 20 to 30 minute or until golden brown.
- Cool one minute, remove from pans by flipping onto serving plate for stickies.
- You can frost right in pan when almost cool but still warm for plain cinnamon rolls.
- NOTE: prep. time includes rise time. if you have extra time, do a rise in the bowl first then go on to the shaping step. Extra rising gives a tender bread.
- The topping is only used when making sticky-style.