Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
This was one of the very first dishes my mother taught me to make. I think I made it for about a month straight. My friends were sick of it! I've perfected it a bit since but it's still my momma's chili!
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 chili brick
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package McCormick mild chili seasoning
- Brown lean ground beef (7%) with onions, garlic and 1 teaspoon of salt in a small pot.
- In a large pot, add 1 cup hot water and chili brick. Heat on low until the brick dissolves.
- Drain ground beef and add to chili brick.
- Add reamining 2 cups of hot water, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, chili powder and chili seasoning to the pot.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve over brown or white rice.