The original recipe uses german rye bread and is made in the oven. This is much quicker and I have made the recipe more healthy by using lite wheat bread and only egg white.
- Dice the tomato, onion, jalapeno, and mushroom. Mix with black beans and add spices to taste.
- Put into individual microwave bowl and cook on high for 45 seconds.
- Beat egg white until frothy. Tastes better I think with the whole egg but healthier with just egg white. Pour evenly over the mixture in the bowl.
- Toast the bread. Cut it into cubes and make it the top layer in the strata. Here I also like to drizzle some smart buds butter spread on top but you can either add your favorite sauce or leave as is.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Check. Microwave again until the egg is completely set.