Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this recipe because it reminds me of my grandmother and it smells so good cooking. It's also delicious and a family favorite.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup humko corn oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pitted, cooked prune
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (, I use pecans)
- Place flour, salt, soda, allspice, cinnamon and sugar in mixing bowl.
- add the oil and the eggs and mix until well blended.
- Add the prunes and beat throughly.
- Add the nuts and stir well.
- Pour into a lightly greased and floured 9" tube pan.
- Bake at 300 for 1 hour and 45 minutes and remove from pan.
- Cool on rack until completely cool.
- I got this recipe from my grandmother but I think she may have gotten it from Humko oil as it used the brand name.
- I don't know if the company is still in business but the cake sure is.
- It's definitely a keeper!
This recipe has been in my family for years! My mom got it from my aunt. The only difference is our recipe adds 1 cup of buttermilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon nutmeg. This recipe tastes nothing like prunes and is very moist. My mom use to add a sugar glaze to it too.