Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Now that I have a food processor, I find that making pesto is SO much easier than when I used my blender. This pesto contains no cheese, but the nuttiness from the toasted walnuts and the nutritional yeast give it the perfect balance of flavor. I do like to take the extra time and toast the walnuts in the oven to really bring out their flavor. You may, of course, use pine nuts as well, but I find I have walnuts on hand more often, since they are a bit less expensive.
- To toast walnuts:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread nuts on baking sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add toasted walnuts to food processor, and pulse until crumbly.
- Add basil leaves and garlic and pulse to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Check for salt and adjust as needed.
- Pesto can then be used in your favorite pasta recipe, or stored in the fridge an airtight container.