Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have been using this recipe since 1993. The original version came from Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book. Over time, of course, I have changed it to suit my preferences. I am sure you and yours will love this very classic of classics as much as me and mine! NOTE: I use old fashioned shortening with animal fats when I make these.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Use a medium speed on the mixer to beat the shortening and the butter together till almost smooth.
- Add 1/2 the flour, the dark brown sugar, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking soda.
- Beat till combined well.
- Beat in the remaining flour.
- Stir in chocolate chips (or other option).
- Drop onto cookie sheet in tablespoon size drops, about 2-3 inches apart.
- (It also works to roll into 1-1/2 inch balls and space at 2-1/2 inches).
- Bake@ 375 for 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Cool on rack& enjoy.
- Extremely good while warm.
- Especially delicious after cooled.
- Store in Ziploc or sealed container.
thanks chef for a terrific recipe!! the whole hive loved them, i got 56 good sized cookies from this recipe.....the only change i made was to add in chopped walnuts......i also was a little shy on choc. chips so made up the small difference by covering the difference with white chips also......good texture and i liked how they didn't go flat....i earned my crown today!
I also halved the recipe and added walnuts. Great cookies, chewier than I was expecting, I'm used to cookies baking down nearly flat. I would bake these again.