Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is my favorite cold day soup. True comfort food. The recipe doesn't specify what kind of milk. Skim milk works fine but I'm sure thicker milks might taste even better. I guessed on the prep/cook time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick the potato and wrap in foil. Bake potatoes for approximately 1 hour until done. Let cool, then scoop the pulp and set aside.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon, let cool, then crumble. Set aside.
- Chop onions.
- Melt butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan. Add the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stir constantly.
- Increase to medium heat and gradually add the milk, stirring consistantly until thick and bubbly.
- Add the potatoes, salt, peppers, half of the green onions and bacon. Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Cook until thoroughly heated, then stir in sour cream. Can add more milk if desire a different consistency.
- Top with remaining onions, bacon, and cheese.