Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish is made simply with simple ingredients and a lot of love. My dinner guests and family get very satisfied looks on their faces and young children ask their moms to make this for them at home. I have made this dish with fresh oregano instead of and in combination with the rosemary and it was just as good. The fat from the chicken (schmaltz) flavors the potatoes. Cooking time really depends on the size of your chicken.
- 1 whole chicken, split up the back and flattened a bit (or chicken pieces, with skin and bones)
- 4 baking potatoes, washed well and cut into 8-10 pieces each (you may use equivalant red potatoes if you want)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper (I usually use a mortor and pestle)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large baking pan with foil.
- In a bowl mix together the olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Rub about 1/3 of this mixture all of the chicken and work some of it under the skin.
- Mix the potatoes and the rest of the herb mixture together and scatter over the baking pan.
- Lay the chicken on top of the potatoes.
- Some will be under the chicken and some will not.
- Place in the oven for about 1 hour or until the chicken is done.
- Check the potatoes and move them around from time to time.
- Cook until the juices from the chicken run clear and the potatoes are soft.
- Remove chicken to cutting board to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Return potatoes to oven while chicken is resting.
- You might even turn the oven up to 400 degrees for a few minutes if you want the skin of the chicken crisper.
I have made this with Chicken and Pork. It is so good. I also used sweet potatoes once. I usually cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes and then put the chicken on top and shove it back in the oven. I have used other spices besides rosemary also. You can do all kinds of stuff to this recipe. It is awesome.
This chicken was very flavorful. I cooked extra and I am using the leftovers to go over a green salad. I did end up separating the chicken from the potatoes to finish cooking and browning and will probably just cook them in separate dishes next time.
This is so very easy and good. Only change I made was to use chicken pieces instead of the whole chicken. It even pleases my picky dh. Thanks so much for sharing!!!