My mom used to make this for us when we were kids and Dad was out of town. (He was a meat and potato guy). I've adjusted it a little to fit our taste. Cook time includes chill time.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans light chunk tuna in water, drained
- 10 ounces macaroni (small shell)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 -3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, to taste
- 2 -3 medium dill pickles, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup hellman's light mayonnaise (may add more)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt and pepper (We all like this with a lot of pepper)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Add the frozen peas to the pasta just before you take it off the stove to drain in the colander.
- In a large bowl mix mayonnaise and vinegar.
- Add pasta and peas and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for about an hour to chill before serving.
This was very yummy! I eyed the relish and had dill relish so used that instead of cutting up a pickle and used onion powder-i'm sure the crunch would've added like in the celery but any hint of onion and my hubby won't bite! We enjoyed this, thanks for the delicious side!!
Loved this recipe. Used fresh dill instead of dill pickles since I didn't have the pickles. It was great. Enjoyed it for lunch for several days. Will definitely make again.
My nephew went into raptures about this! I have to admit, I liked it quite well, myself! I forgot to put the vinegar in the salad and it was fine, but remembered to put it in when I served it again, and thought that was what put it over the top, for me. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Nimz.