Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
My Italian ancestors come Southern Italy; specifically Calabria. This is similar to what I remember my Dad making; process and ingredients. He probably got the technique from his GF Frank Scavo...but we also have Comita, Scalzo, Gigliotti, Grande and Micelli in our line...so who knows? (Frank made his own sausage..mmmmm) I highly suggest that you serve this over Creamy Parmesan Polenta (Parmesan Polenta)
- 20 small sweet italian peppers
- 1 green pepper
- 2 red onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 -3 lbs Italian sausages (hot & mild combo)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 28 ounces Italian tomatoes (Canned, Cento's Chef's Cut with Basil found in Italian section of supermarket)
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 4 tablespoons basil
- 1 fennel bulb (optional)
- Add EVOO to the bottom of a pan that can be used stove top and in the oven.
- Add sausage and brown; remove from pan.
- Add onions and peppers (and fennel if using) and cook until soft.
- Deglaze with wine.
- Add tomatoes to the pan; add oregano/basil and stir; bring to a boil.
- Add sausage back in pan and submerge under pepper/tomato mixture.
- Place pan in the oven at 375 degrees with lid on. Cook 40 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir. Cook additional 30 minutes.
Thank you so much for sharing your family's recipe with us. The Italian side of my family too hails from Calabria and I was so happy to try your dish. This is true comfort food, and absolutely delicious! I wasn't sure and so left the sausages partially whole instead of slicing them in this dish. Also I used tsp's on the spices as I only had dried herbs and assumed the recipe was to be made with fresh herbs. Served over angel hair pasta. This was so good, I know I will make it often! Thank you, Cooks4_6 [Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag]