Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my version of the classic dish.I'm Italian,so I gotta know a little bit about this,come and try it!
- Slice eggplant in 1 1/4 inch slices.
- In a large bowl mix,parmesan cheese,flour and seasonings.
- In a medium size bowl beat eggs and water.
- On medium, heat large skillet with 1 inch deep of olive oil.
- Work quickly and dip 1 slice eggplant in egg mixture,then flour mixture,then repeat dips.
- Add to hot oil.Cook about 2-3 minutes on each side,or until a nice rich golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels,layer in 9x13 dish,cover with cheese at each layer,and use spaghetti sauce every other layer.
- This will resemble a nice thick lasagna when finished.
- Bake 350 degrees 25 minutes.Serve with salad and bread sticks.
I made Tomato and Basil Sauce - Salsa Di Pomodoro E Basilico by Linda's Busy Kitchen for the sauce. A recipe by MaryAnn Esposito, who is Italian and has great recipes. With this sauce it was excellent! My family and I really enjoyed it! This is a "Must Try" if you like Eggplant Parmesan.
Wow. This was awesome. I fixed this dish for my sister and BIL last night. Now I've never had Eggplant Parmesan so I have nothing to compare it to, but sis is a connoisseur of the stuff and her comment was "this is better than any Eggplant Parmesan I've ever had in a resturant". My BIL just made groaning noises as he ate. I thought it was great also. I wasn't sure about whether or not I was suppose to add the parmesan to the flour mixture, so I just put in with the mozzarella. I fried the eggplant pieces is light OO and had one layer of eggplant topped with cheese and then topped with Newman's Own Sockarooni spaghetti sauce. This turned out absolutely wonderful and enjoyed by all. Thanks Farah for a fabulous recipe and thanks for answering my questions. You have a real winner here.