Recipe by Sue Lau
An easier faster and updated version of my tzatziki, perfect for use on gyros, shawarma, kebabs, souvlaki, and falafel sandwiches or small salads. If you use a towel instead of cheesecloth, don't use a terry cloth type but choose something with a flat weave. This also tastes best if it has time to sit, but I have used it in a hurry.
- 1 large cucumbers or 1 English cucumber
- 14 ounces fage total Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cheesecloth (or thin towel)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel cucumber. Cut into quarters. Slice off seed section if it has seeds.
- Grate using food processor or small box grater. Place grated cucumber onto about a 12 inch section of doubled cheesecloth, wrap and twist over a bowl and squeeze out liquid using your hands. You will need 1/2 cup dry grated cucumber.
- Stir together cucumber with all remaining ingredients and adjust your seasonings to taste.
- Serve cold.