Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This isn't one of those faddy Mac & Cheese with the a Creamy Bechamel Sauce--this is EXACTLY what it says--MAC & Cheese. I make this when ever I need REAL comfort food--or when I think of my dad.
- 3⁄4 lb grated yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 lb grated tillamook cheese (or your favorite Mild Cheddar.)
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni (or favorite tube pasta ... NOT salad macaroni!!)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup light cream or 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter (you won't be using all of it)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Butter a round casserole dish (I use a 6-inch deep x 8-inch straight sided covered casserole dish).
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Grate the cheese and KEEP in separate piles.
- Place a cup of the cooked macaroni on bottom of greased casserole dish, salt and pepper *lightly* - (*you will be doing this each layer so careful with the salt*); top with a handful of cheese (it doesn't matter which one you start with -- you will be alternating the cheeses); dot the cheese with a little bit of butter -- repeat until all the macaroni is used (finish with cheese!).
- Top the last layer of cheese with a bit more butter.
- Mix together the egg and cream (half-n-half), Pour over the casserole. Place the casserole on a cookie sheet (it has a tendency to bubble over). Cover the casserole for the first 30 minutes. After the first 30 minutes, remove the casserole top and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the cheese on top is melted and nice and crusty.
i love baked mac and cheese heres to your dad dee