Recipe by Debilyn_Ks
This is one of my Husbands favorite dishes. The ingredients are approximates as I usually do not measure and I usually use a 4-6 lb. roast bone-in or bone-less. It does freeze well, just sprinkle with some water and wrap in foil to reheat.
Top Review by parker82
Definitely 5 stars for taste and for ease of prep. I was so excited to find a delicious recipe like this one. DH could not stop talking about it and has already claimed the leftovers for himself. Will definitely make way more next time for leftovers. Also, I think next time when the pork goes in the oven to add some slices of onion to it for even more flavor.
- 907.18 g pork butt
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml Mexican oregano, crushed
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- seasoning salt
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place meat in 3 qrt sauce pan, add water until meat is just covered.
- Smack garlic with a knife to release flavor add to pot along with onion, salt, oregano and cumin.
- Bring to boil, skim skum, reduce heat, cover simmer 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain meat, place in baking dish, sprinkle evenly with season salt and garlic powder.
- You have a few options here.
- You can either bake it whole, break into chunks (Dh prefers this) or shred thickly (I prefer) I usually do some chunks and shreds.
- Bake 30-45 minute You do not want it to get to crispy if you shredded it first. Watch carefully as you do not want it to dry out.
- While still warm shred with 2 forks if left whole.
- Serve with warm tortillas and pico de gallo.