Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Delicous! The first time I've ever made bread pudding and the first one I've ever liked! I replaced one cup of the milk for vanilla flavored milk and that was all I did to tweak it. This will get made again!
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup brandy or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 8 -10 slices dry bread
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups milk, scald & cooled
- Cover raisins with Brandy or water.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine.
- Break up bread, set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice.
- Reserve 3 TBLS of this mixture for topping.
- Toss bread with remaining sugar mixture.
- Pour melted margarine on before you toss the bread crumbs. Your sugar mixture will stick better that way.
- Place 1/2 of bread mixture in a lightly greased 1 1/2 qrt. baking dish.
- Drain rasins, place 1/2 rasins over bread crumbs.
- Repeat layers.
- Combine egg, salt, & vanilla in a bowl.
- Beat for 1 minute.
- Add milk slowly.
- Pour over mix in dish.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved sugar mix on top.
- Bake at 325 forn 45 to 50 minutes.