Recipe by Sackville
A basic stew from the Congo. Sorry for the vague directions. Posted by request from the book 'Best of Regional African Cooking'.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Crazy simple & delicious! I used beef & about 1 heaping tsp crushed red pepper flakes. What I would do differently next time is to start earlier....it only cooked 1.5 hours at a simmer. I think closer to 3 hours at the barest simmer or in the oven would make it more tender. I served it over Annacia's recipe#455157 which worked really well. Made for I've saved all these recipes & African Tag 3/12.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up or 2 lbs beef or 2 lbs lamb or 2 lbs fish fillets
- 2 large onions, cut up
- 2 -4 chili peppers, mashed or 2 -4 dry crushed red pepper
- 6 -7 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and mashed
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken, meat or fish well with salt.
- In hot oil in a large and heavy stewing pan, saute the meat with the onions until well browned.
- Add chili peppers, tomatoes and enough water to barely cover.
- Simmer until tender and nicely cooked.
- Serve with boiled rice or fried plantain.
- VARIATION: You can mix 1/4-1/3 cup peanut butter with a little boiling water until smooth and add to stew 15-20 minutes before it is done.