Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Ok really spicy but lovely dish eated with naan or rotis or chapatis or vadas. Malvani food Yum Yum. Courtesy Sunday Mid-day. The paper covered the new luxury train the government has launched to tour the wonderful and picturesque west coast of India.
- 1⁄2 kg mutton, cleaned and cubed
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into halves
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 8 cloves
- 8 peppercorns
- 6 red chilies
- 1⁄2 coconut, grated
- 2 tablespoons oil (the recipe uses much more oil, 1 cup, but I do not have the heart, pun intended, to use that much)
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- Marinate the mutton in the salt, turmeric, and the ginger-garlic paste for an hour.
- Roast the cloves, peppercorns, poppy seeds, coriander seeds, aniseeds and red chillies in a little oil till brown and fragrant.
- Add onions and stir till they are golden brown.
- Add coconut and tomatoes and stir well.
- Cool Grind to a paste.
- Heat remaining oil in a pressure cooker and add meat and potatoes.
- Stir fry till brown.
- Add the ground masala paste.
- Add water and cook for 1 whistle and simmer for 7 minutes or till meat is soft.
- Release pressure and serve hot garnishing with Coriander leaves.