Recipe by Sackville
A fabulous vegetarian curry, which I got off a blog, www.route79.com -- taste and fall in love! You can add a finely chopped hot chilli if you want to spice it up.
Top Review by Reggie's Mom
I just finished making this tonight. My first time making any kind of Indian food. So....after I practically licked my plate clean I decided to review this recipe. This is such an easy recipe and the flavours of the spices blend beautifully. I used Nanak Paneer that I purchase from an Indian grocery store (that brand was recommended to me by an Indian lady I work with. Can't wait to have the left overs for lunch tomorrow! The only change I made was to add a splash of cream just at the end, gave it a nice creamy texture.
- 250 g paneer cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- oil, for frying
- cilantro, chopped (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a little bit of oil in a deep, heavy bottomed frying pan and brown the cheese, turning frequently so no sides burn. When it is browned, set aside on a plate.
- Add more oil, if needed, to the pan and throw in the onions.
- Let them fry until golden, then add the garlic and spices.
- Fry some more for a couple minutes, then add the tin of tomatoes and about 1/2 cup of water.
- Let simmer for about five minutes, then put in the fried cheese and peas and simmer covered over a low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Check the consistency and simmer some more if needed to bring it down to a thickness you like.
- Serve with rice and other Indian curries of your choice.