Recipe by bean213
Indian gujrati style snack made from squash and flours, then steamed. Healthy and nutritious and very satisfying.
- 1 medium squash, can be substituted with cabbage if preferred (bottle gourd)
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1⁄4 cup bengal gram flour (besan)
- 1⁄4 cup semolina
- 2 tablespoons grated green chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
Directions See How It's Made
- First grate the gourd.
- Then, add all ingredients except the 2 extra tablespoons of oil. This oil is used to coat your fingers before rolling the batter into long pieces to steam.
- After mixing all ingredients to make a thick batter, shape into long thin rolls with your fingers using the oil so the dough does not stick.
- Then place into steamer and steam for 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Let sit for a few hours before enjoying!