Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick, rich entree. You can also use it as a filling for phyllo for an appetizer.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, cut in half and then sliced into crescents
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms, mixed wild and button, sliced about 1/8 inch thick
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 beef bouillon cube, see note
- 8 ounces sour cream or 8 ounces creme fraiche
- Note the beef bouillon cube should be preferably knorr or morga,preferably unsalted,melted in 1/4 Celsius liquid.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan.
- Add the onion and saute until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the mushrooms, a handful at a time, stirring to coat them with the butter until all the mushrooms have been added.
- Season generously with black pepper and a generous pinch of salt.
- When the mushrooms have shrunk a bit and deepened in color, add the broth and the sour cream.
- Stir well, toss to coat the mushrooms, and lower the heat.
- From this point on, you must NOT allow this mixture to boil.
- The heat must stay very low.
- When the sauce turns a beautiful brown color and everything is mixed well, taste, and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve over pasta or rice.
This was incredible. I added some thyme because the thyme-mushroom-garlic flavor is my favorite. Yummmmmmmmy. Served over pasta. Will be making as often as humanly possible.
This was good and it certainly was easy! I used low fat sour cream which may be why it had a bit of a too strong sour creamy flavor for me but it was actually better reheated the next day! Thanks for the recipe!
my boyfriend and I really liked this recipe, and i loved how easy it was to prepare. i cut the recipe in half, used only 1 tbsp of butter, and fat free sour cream. it still turned out incredibly rich, served on top of egg noodles. i will try it in phyllo pockets next time. thanks for posting.