Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this on Jacquie's Cooking Link and have made a few subtle changes &/or additions. Enjoy! Update 5/16/06 .........
- 18 large white mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling (optional)
- Wipe mushrooms clean.
- Remove and finely chop stems.
- Set mushroom caps and chopped stems aside.
- Drain spinach well and press between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Dip mushroom caps in melted butter; place in a 13x9x2" baking dish, caps side down.
- Sauté reserved chopped mushroom stems and onion in any remaining melted butter in skillet.
- Add spinach; stir well.
- Set aside.
- Combine egg yolk, 2-1/2 tablespoons gruyere cheese, salt(if using), nutmeg and pepper in small bowl; stir well.
- Add to spinach mixture, stirring well.
- Taste for seasoning, add if needed.
- Spoon spinach mixture evenly into mushroom caps; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons gruyere.
- If you choose sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 325ºF for 20-25 minutes or until stuffed mushrooms are thoroughly heated.
I made this for a Mother's Day brunch my sister was giving. Glad I made a double batch because they were a hit! I used the equivilent Egg Beaters for the egg yolk. I also chopped a can of sliced water chestnuts with the mushroom stems in the food processor. Added a nice little crunchy texture.