Recipe by susie cooks
This is from Madhur Jaffrey. Posted for zwt 2006. Sounds good!!
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
I really wish I could rate this one higher, but we just didn't care for the flavors in this dish. I think I'm going to try this one again omitting the cinnamon, cardamon and cloves. I may try adding in some curry powder instead.
- 5 tablespoons corn oil or 5 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 medium cinnamon sticks
- 2 small onions, very finely chopped
- 3 hot green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 lbs medium mushrooms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups packed cilantro leaves, well chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour oil into a wide, heavy, lidded pan or wok, set over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, add cinnamon. Stir once and then quickly add the onions and chilies. Stir fry for 5 to 7 minutes until onions are golden brown.
- Take pan off heat and add the yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Return pan to heat and cook, stirring, until all the yogurt is absorbed and you can see the oil at the edges.
- Put in the mushrooms, another 3/4 teaspoons salt, cloves, cardamon and cilantro. Stir and reduce heat to low, cover, and cook gently for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and raise the heat to medium high to boil off some of the liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream, serve.