Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This originates from Veg Times January 2000, but I found it veganized by www.veganangela.com. They're intended to be served with your favourite tomato sauce over pasta.....I think they would really compliment many other dishes.
- 2 2⁄3 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup arborio rice, uncooked
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, finely chopped (should make 2 cups when finely chopped, use cremini or button too)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 vegan egg (ie EnerG egg replacer, flax egg or chia egg)
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons almond meal
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over high heat. Add rice, reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, approx 18 to 20 minutes. Stir almost constantly during last 5 minutes of cooking. When done, transfer to large bowl and set aside.
- While the rice cooks, finely chop your mushrooms (use a food processor if you like). In large skillet, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2-3 minutes Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 3-5 minutes Add to bowl with rice; let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Add vegan egg, breadcrumbs, almond meal, nutritional yeast, parsley, salt and pepper to cooled rice mixture and mix well. Form mixture about 24 oval or round nuggets, each about 2 inches in diameter. Your slightly damp hands are probably the best tool for doing this.
- Clean out your skillet then heat up the remaining 2 tsp olive oil over medium high heat; tilt to coat bottom. Add half the nuggets and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes Turn nuggets over onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining nuggets. Bake until nuggets are browned and firm, 15-20 minutes
- Serve the "Neat" balls hot over tomato sauce & pasta, or any other dish you think will compliment.