Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Lighten up and enjoy this healthy recipe for far less sinful pizza pleasure. Optimistically this makes 6 servings but not in my house, 3 people polished it off easily. From Eat Well, Stay Well
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb pizza dough (purchased or homemade)
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the bell peppers and saute for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add the mushrooms, onion slices (if using), oregano and salt, and cook for 4 minutes or until the mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Spray a 12-inch pizza pan or large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pat the dough into a 12-inch round.
- Cover and let stand in a warm spot for 25 minutes or until doubled. Bake for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce and cinnamon.
- Spoon over the pizza.
- Top with the pepper mixture and the mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the crust is browned.
This was a good pizza! I used the Pillsbury canned crust and left off the green pepper.. we don't like them. I only used button mushrooms because that's all the store had. It was delicious! Made for Zaar's Newest Tag Game 2011.
I made a smaller pizza for the DM and I and adjusted the quantities to suit, I did use a red and orange capsicum/bell pepper and all button mushrooms sliced (the reason for not using green capsicum is that the DM would spend time picking it out or refuse to eat the pizza) and I also finely diced the capsicum and therefore cooked the mushrooms, onion and capsicum together and baked for 20 minutes at 175C fan forced for a lovely golden pizza that we both thoroughly enjoyed, thank you Annacia, made for Photo Tag game (under 24 hour rule.)
This made a nice light dinner with a salad! I used a mix of portobella and button mushrooms. Thanks!