This unspeakably delicious, meatless Russian dish is called Mushroom Julienne in Russian cookbooks. Serve it as an appetizer, a meatless entree or a light, late supper.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 lbs white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup white sauce
- 1⁄3 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the onions until they begin to color, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until they release their liquid, then until it is evaporated and mushrooms are nicely browned, about 18 minutes. Stir in the vermouth and cook for 3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Stir the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the white sauce, the chives, nutmeg, fennel seeds and salt and pepper. Mix well. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Divide the mixture among 4 ovenproof ramekins or custard cups. Spread a tablespoon of the remaining white sauce over each portion and sprinkle generously with Gruyere. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.