1/1 Photo of Mushroom Gratin
1 hr 5 mins
This unspeakably delicious, meatless Russian dish is called Mushroom Julienne in Russian cookbooks. Serve it as an appetizer, a meatless entree or a light, late supper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 lbs white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup white sauce
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the onions until they begin to color, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until they release their liquid, then until it is evaporated and mushrooms are nicely browned, about 18 minutes. Stir in the vermouth and cook for 3 minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 3Stir the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the white sauce, the chives, nutmeg, fennel seeds and salt and pepper. Mix well. Cook for 3 minutes.
- 4Divide the mixture among 4 ovenproof ramekins or custard cups. Spread a tablespoon of the remaining white sauce over each portion and sprinkle generously with Gruyere. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.2
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 72.9 mg
- Sodium 348.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 16.6 g