Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Dried mushrooms are the key ingredient here. They add a rich, meaty flavor with no fat!!
- 1 ounce dried mushroom
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms or 12 ounces button mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 (8 ounce) cans fat free sodium free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring the dried mushrooms and water to a boil. Remove and let stand 15 minutes.
- Coat Dutch oven with nonstick spray. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Coat lightly with nonstick spray. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the cremini mushrooms and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionaly, 6 to 8 minutes or until all the veggies are soft. Add the broth, barley, and salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Line a fine mesh sieve with a coffee filter or paper towel. Strain the dried mushroom water into the pot. Remove and dicard the filter. Rince the dried mushrooms under running water to remove any grit. Chop the dried mushrooms and add to the pot. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the barley is tender.
This was pretty good, but I found it a little bland ... so I tweaked it within an inch of its life. I added a cup of dry sherry, and a cup of Recipe #113203; I also added another teaspoon of salt, a good half-teaspoon of ground black pepper, and some Penzey's shallot salt. That made it a bit richer and, to my taste, gave it more flavor. I suspect, though, that someone who really loves mushrooms and doesn't need any other flavors would greatly enjoy this soup exactly as it's written. Not being a huge mushroom lover myself, I needed to throw in the kitchen sink! Thanks so much for posting this.