Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
great stew. High in fiber and nutrious
Make and share this Mung Bean Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 250 g mung beans, soaked for at least 6 hours
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 gluten-free vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 carrots, trimmed, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1 celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Rinse the mung beans thoroughly and drain.
- Place the onion, mung beans, turmeric, cumin and vegetable stock cube in a saucepan with 750ml water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrot, celery, squash and tamari and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice and sprinkled with coriander leaves.
- To turn this into a soup for the next day, add more water, extra fresh herbs of your choice, some more stock and blend until smooth. Fabulous.
This is a really great staple recipe for healthy take to work lunch, using ingredients that I usually have on hand. I had never thought about combining mung beans with butternut squash! Next time I will amp up the spices, and maybe add some ginger. Thanks Chef!
Excellent dish. The butternut squash was definately a star of this stew for me. I used a whole butternut squash, as mine was small. I also roasted it first, since it appeared to be very tough. I had to add salt, one teaspoon of soy sauce was not enough seasoning for me. Thank you. Will make this again.