Recipe by cannedfood
A scarier take on traditional Rice Krispies Treats®, Munch-A-Roaches are perfect for packed Halloween lunches or after-school snacks. Tropical fruit salad and currants boost the nutritional value of this crunchy, fruity treat. Courtesy of Mealtime.org. Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 100; Total fat 1.5g; Saturated fat 2g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 80mg; Carbohydrate 22g; Fiber 0g; Protein 1g; Vitamin A 4%DV*; Vitamin C 20%DV; Calcium 0%DV; Iron 15%DV *Daily Value
- 1 (15 ounce) can tropical fruit salad, drained and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 48 currants or 48 dried blueberries
- 10 licorice, laces any color
Directions See How It's Made
- Paper towels.
- Large pot.
- Baking sheet.
- Sandwich the fruit between 2 layers of paper towel and blot away as much moisture as possible.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in fruit and crisped rice cereal until cereal is uniformly moistened. Scrape onto a sheet pan and cool.
- Wet your hands and form cereal mixture into 24 tablespoon size, egg-shaped balls (bodies) and 24, 1 1/2 teaspoon-size balls (heads). Stick the heads onto the bodies and decorate with currants or dried blueberries for eyes, and small pieces of licorice for legs and antenna.