This is my mum's recipe for a light Scottish scones. They're always a winner.
Make and share this Mum's Special Scones recipe from Food.com.
- Heat Oven to 425oF, 220oC or Gas Mark 7.
- In a bowl put self raising flour, baking powder and butter (or margarine)
- Rub in until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar.
- In a measuring jug beat the egg and mix in milk.
- Stir Egg/Milk mixture into the flour and mix until it becomes like a soft dough. (add extra milk if too dry).
- Turn on to a floured table.
- Knead lightly and roll out to 1.5 cm (1/2") thickness.
- Cut into rounds and put onto greased or floured baking tray/sheet.
- Brush tops with a little beaten egg (or milk).
- Bake for 10 minutes or until pale golden brown.
- Remove from oven and put on a wire cooling rack to cool.