Recipe by Sassy Syrah
I learned how to make these when I was a little girl. After looking at other more complex recipes, involving eggs and cream, I thought there might be space for mine. All you need is self- rising flour, butter and milk, and Hey Presto! You have afternoon tea or a snack.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 250C
- Sift flour and salt in a bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well, and add almost all of the milk.
- (Reserve about a tbs) With a butter knife, quickly work in the milk to the flour, making a dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough very lightly.
- Flatten gently with your hands to 1.5cm thick
- Use a round cutter to cut out discs.
- On a buttered tray place scones next to each other.
- Brush with reserved milk.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until scones sound hollow when tapped.
- Serve with tea, whipped cream and strawberry jam and you have Devonshire tea.
- Or add herbs/grated cheese for savoury scones to serve with soups and casseroles.