Prep 15 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Here is a great recipe for a Multi-Grain loaf that I would love to share with you. I have made this wonderful loaf over and over and it has turned out beautiful each time. This loaf, with its lovely wheaty flavour, even crumb and rustic artisanal look, will make even novices into confirmed bread bakers. You do have to begin the day before to mix the flour, water and yeast starter, but all three loaves – multigrain, whole wheat and white – are worth it. For all three, we used Robin Hood Best for Bread flours.
- 946.36 ml multigrain whole wheat bread flour
- 236.59 ml warm water
- 29.58 ml buckwheat honey (Reg. liquid honey, just as good)
- 7.39 ml fine sea salt
- 4.92 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml warm water
- 7.39 ml active dry yeast
- 236.59 ml multigrain whole wheat bread flour
- 2.46 ml multigrain whole wheat bread flour
- Starter: In large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour, stirring until mixture is consistency of thick pancake batter, about 2 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand in warm place until bubbly and puffy, and wheaty aroma develops, 8 to 12 hours.
- Stir in 3-1/4 cups (800 mL) of the flour, warm water, honey and salt to make soft sticky dough.
- Turn out onto generously floured surface; knead, dusting with as much of the remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Form into ball; place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover dough with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Grease 9- x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan; set aside.
- Punch down dough. Shape into ball; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Press into 11- x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) rectangle. Starting at short end, roll up into cylinder; pinch along bottom and ends to seal. Fit, seam side down, into prepared pan. Cover with clean tea towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Topping: Dust top of loaf with flour. Slash top lengthwise down centre, starting and ending about 1 inch (2.5 cm) from edges of pan. Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven until instant-read thermometer registers 215°F (102°C) and loaf is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool.
- Additional Information
- Unbleached White Loaf:
- Replace multigrain bread flour with unbleached white bread flour. Replace buckwheat honey with mild liquid honey.
- Whole Wheat Loaf:
- Replace multigrain bread flour with whole wheat bread flour.
Really great recipe. I searched a while for a bread recipe that uses multi-grain flour. My first loaf turned out wonderfully and was so delicious and beautiful!
What an absolutely gorgeous loaf of bread!!! I made the Multigran Loaf, and this make a large, beautifully risen, delicious loaf. Well worth starting it the night before! I just can't get over how easy and delicious this turned out! Thanks so much for submitting it, Blueorca! I'd give it ten stars if I could!